Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Work expereince week


My work experience week was spent helping backstage at a AmDram Pantomime in Littlehampton. I worked there for four nights, helping with setting up the stage with set and props, ensuing the actors were ok at all times, costume changes and make up.


Being backstage and helping with all of the behind the scenes operations was a change for me as I am used to performing and being on stage. Backstage is not something I have ever spent a whole performance working on and this is partly the reason why I decided to experience it in y work experience. 


I feel as though this week has given me a better understanding of how backstage operates, which will definitely ensure I am able to appreciate how hard they work and the effort that goes into what they do.



I really enjoyed doing the Dame’s make up with Izzy. We had a template of what the director was looking for within the make up look however we used our knowledge that stage make up must be over exaggerated and non naturalistic if the audience are to see it clearly. 


Setting the props on stage for the actors was the next job I have to do. Ensuring that the props (two arms chairs) were in the correct place for the actors to use was essential. I know this because of my experience on stage, as an actor. Therefore I took this previous knowledge and applied it to the job in hand. I listened very closely to my directions form the backstage manager, and made a special effort that I placed my chair in exactly the same spot for each performance. 
 
Following this, I had to wait patiently back stage in the wings to hand the actors their props (fine dining food) and wait for them to pass them back to me when they had finished. I was already aware of the importance of this job as being an actor myself, having the correct props readily available to you on your cue is so important. I took this into consideration and ensured I stayed back stage in silences, waiting to take any sudden change or directions given/signalled to me by one of the members of back stage crew. 


From my experience working back stage on a performing arts piece rather than being on stage, I have definitely learnt a lot about how the whole production works from a different point of view.
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience however it has definitely confirmed to me that performing is what I prefer doing, which is a positive.


This process has taught me the importance of considering back stage responsibilities, especially as I am going through the freelance route. Over my first year of freelancing as a performer, I would be more than happy to take on a runner job, back stage at a theatre production or TV show. This work experience week has well prepared me for this if I ever had the opportunity to work as a runner. I know am well prepared to work quickly under pressure and follow exact details to benefit the actors. This step will hopefully lead to me building my contacts, which hopefully will lead to building my way up the ladder and transition from runner jobs, to extras, to main parts. 


I will definitely put this work experience on my Performing CV as it shows versatility and open mindedness in a performer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment