Wednesday, 8 February 2017
Contacts database
In a performer' first year of freelancing, there are a certain amount of contacts in the industry that you must know and be in contact with to make your business successful.
In this post, I will state all of the contacts you need and why they will be such an important part to your first year of freelance work.
As this would be my first year as a freelance performer, I will be on a limited budget. Therefore, I will be looking for friends I can rely on to help me out, along with low budget industry professionals which I can negotiate some good deals with.
Contact database
Agent- I will be looking for an agent who can represent me as an all round performer, for acting, singing and dancing. I will be looking for an agent who is free of charge, as these are usually the best agents who will be able to find you the most work. They may ask for a percentage of the amount you make from each job as their payment, which is reasonable if they manage to get you lots of work.
Photographer- I have friends who are photography students. They are always working on different projects and shooting different styles, including portfolio style photographs. I will have them as a key contact so I can update my headshot as often as I need to. I can also get some on site shots, as well as the classic studio pictures.
Make up artist- One of my closets friends is a make up artists therefore I would call on her if I ever needed my make up and hair done for a portfolio shoot. This is not an essential contact to have however as she is a convenient to me, I will make full use of my resources available to me.
Media production specialist- I have a close friend who is studying creative media production and film studies. He is really skilled at editing videos and helped me when I was creating my show reel. If I ever need him to help me re create my show reel or edit a promotional video, I will definitely use his skills as they will be free of cost.
Photographer- I have friends who are photography students. They are always working on different projects and shooting different styles, including portfolio style photographs. I will have them as a key contact so I can update my headshot as often as I need to. I can also get some on site shots, as well as the classic studio pictures.
Media production specialist- I have a close friend who is studying creative media production and film studies. He is really skilled at editing videos and helped me when I was creating my show reel. If I ever need him to help me re create my show reel or edit a promotional video, I will definitely use his skills as they will be free of cost.
Accountant- it is not essential to have an accountant personal in your first year as this can be an expensive contact to maintain. If this is not in your budget, then your accounts is something you will have to do yourself. (Full analysis and information in legal post.)
Legal help from Equity- Equity are a company who you pay to ensure you are treated fairly in the industry as companies and individuals can ill treat you, just like in any other serious and competitive industry. Once you have paid them, you are able to contact them as frequently as you like, asking them to check over a contract deal or to advise you on whether or not a job is worth taking or not. They have the power to get you out of bad agreements and deals, almost like a lawyer would. You pay them in return for legal back up and a trust worthy voice to listen to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment