Tuesday 6th December
In today’s lesson, we had scheduled in to run the whole musical with my cast and for our lesson on Thursday, to be a full run with Amber’s cast. However unfortunately we did not have time to finish our first run today therefore we will have to finish it off next lesson before Amber’s cast run.
At the beginning of the musical as Scaramouche, I am sitting in the centre of some steps at the bottom, with my head facing down. She keeps a low profile at this early stage of the performance whilst action takes place around her. We have situated Scaramouche in this position so that the audience notice she is there however the aim is for them not to be drawn to he in any way. Her presence is in the back of their minds however she does not move or participate in any of the action until her first song. The Teacher introduces her by delivering the line “I am sorry to have to report commander that there is one other. A repulsive creature. A girl.” With this she jumps up and starts singing I want to break free. This moment should take the audience by surprise, making them think that the most unlikely characters in this musical can pop up and have value to the audience at any time. For some time at the beginning I had to remain in nuetraul whilst the action happened around me. Out of respect fro my fellow cast members I stayed silent and still in the same position, so it was easy for them to work around me. We were running in the dance studio which is not the space we will be performing in therefore we did not have as much room as we will have for the performance. This was another reason why sitting still and quietly was important, so y fellow ensemble members could get used to the space and surroundings.
Something I found challenging today was getting used to singing my solo with movement and acting added into the role as well. This is all part of the characterisation process and will come with practise, in time. I am not fully confident with my songs in the musical yet however this is because I have been focusing on preparing my line learning in my own time. At this stage in the process, being confident with my line is my main priority as when I have mastered it, I will be able to focus on developing my characterisation skills and vocal technique. The line are the foundation and once they are in place, everything else becomes that little bit easier fro me. I have decided to make a list of the songs I feel as though I need to work on with my teacher at some point, to ensure I am able to focus on specific parts in the songs with her in this time rather than wasting it on songs and parts to songs that I am confident with.
Somebody to love- this is my solo and is the most challenging song to sing for me. There are a couple of high notes in this song which I am struggling to reach with out straining my vice therefore I am going alter them, to suit my voice.
Hammer to fall- need to spend some time with Luke (Galileo) working on timing as this song is not very technical, it is more ad-lib based.
Who wants to live forever- this song requires technical ability and harmonisation. Luke and I have already spent some time on Kim working out how we want to make the song original, however I definitely need to spend some more time with Luke perfecting this song.
Bohemian Rhapsody- This has many parts to it and requires full concentration from everyone involved. We have worked out as an ensemble who will be singing which parts, now we just need a couple more rehearsals to ensure it runs fluidly.
Despite the fact I struggles with putting everything together today, performance wise, I found that my peer support was very strong and helped me realise that I was doing well, plus the effort I was putting in showed.
No comments:
Post a Comment