Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Week beginning 28th November 2016- blocking continuation

 To make life easier today we split into our two separate casts and sat in a traverse fashion, creating a temporary stage and audience space, much like the space we will be performing in on show week. Having the two casts split up on two sides also helped us all process who will be on stage at certain points, making transitions on and off stage more fluid. 


On cast today, Luke and I did the blocking for Scene 6 ‘Out on the road.’ Something I found challenging today was understand this scene of the musical as reading it before we blocked it, I could not quite work out the meaning of the scene. However I took a minute aside with Luke who explained it to me and we read it through once before blocking it. I now understand the context of the scene and why my character is saying the lines she does.

For the blocking of this scene, Luke and I will but up the top of the Bohemian staging across the top therefore today being in the classroom, I had to image there was more distance between Luke and myself. Taking this into consideration, I had to raise the volume of my voice as the beginning of this scene sees Scaramouche trying to catch up with Galileo. I also have to consider where the audience will be situated, this will require for me to raise the volume of my voice even more so. 
Today was the first time in a week or so that I had blocked a scene in character therefore it took me a few attempts to master the accent I put on for her. The accent sounds almost as if she is from London however has an independent and confident twang to it. I practised a couple of my lines over a few times to make sure I had mastered it.


I applied effective ensemble skills in the next part of the lesson when the other cast did the blocking for the final scenes. I acted as an ensemble chorus member, at the same time as keeping an eye on what my double cast, Amber did regarding blocking. I had my script with me at points whilst she was blocking so I could write down stage directions to make it easier for myself when it comes to my run of the scene. 
Today the process could have been made easier if everyone was fully confident with their lines. It took slightly longer to block as no one was fully off script. Having scripts down speeds up the process every time as it allows everyones attention to be fully on their movement and positioning, not looking at their next line. My target for myself is to be completely off script this time next week which is an achievable goal as I only have the final scenes left to learn. 
As our class has been double cast for this show, it is important to take both your lead role and your chorus role equally as seriously. When playing the chorus role, you are supporting your fellow class members when they play the lead roles. They do exactly the same for you when you are the lead therefore it is important to treat both parts you have with equal importance. Today I sat quietly and made notes whilst Amber’s cast were blocking. This helps the other cast concentrate on their blocking ad also allows you to watch your double cast and pickup on what you will be doing rather than being distracted with something irrelevant. 

To finish off today’s productive rehearsal we decided to make a start on breaking down the Bohemian Rhapsody, this took patients as it is a complex songs with multiple parts to it therefore we needed to take our time figuring the logistics out. I sang this song on cast however I worked as a team with Amber to work out which parts we will be singing on and off cast. This method of working with your double cast kills to birds wth one stone, as it saves time later having to catch up on your two roles. This process took everyone to cooperate and listen carefully to our teacher and director Kim as she was in charge of assigning characters certain parts and harmonies in the song. Whilst groups were working out how to achieve their harmonies, everyone else had to focus and sit quietly to give the other class members a chance to think properly. Whilst Kim worked with certain groups, I went over my lyrics in my head and became familiar with them to make the most if the time I had.
Towards the end of this lesson today we all became tired and started to go off track slightly as we had been in college working on WWRY from early in the morning. We decided to end the rehearsal a few minutes early so we could all go home and get some rest as we all felt our productivity had lowered. 
I feel as though today has been extremely successful as we have managed to completely finish the blocking which is great, leaving us in the position to have our first full run through which will take place next week. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment