Wednesday, 12 October 2016

11/10/16 1st lesson- Blocking

 Blocking- lesson 1


Page 22- This section of dialogue between Galileo and Scaramouche, directly after they have finished singing their duet, Under Pressure. The pair are confused about what Globalsoft have done to them and they are clueless to why they could possibly be of help to them.
I want to convey to audiences that in this scene Scaramouche secretly is willing to spend time with Galileo and find out why they are in demand. However she verbally sounds blunt and stand offish when talking to him. This shows her character is the type to play hard to get and not give too much of her emotions away to audiences and Galileo. “Don't call me baby” I will deliver this line quickly after Galileo calls her baby with a harsh tone, to show she is against the idea of being his ‘baby.’ This shows she can stand up for herself in a potentially vulnerable situation. 
Page 29-31 
This scene sees Galileo and Scaramouche getting to know one another on a personal level, exploring each other's personality traits and persona. Scaramouche shows her vulnerable side in this scene by telling Galileo that the GaGa girls hate her and that she feels as though she doesn't fit it. She puts on a front that this doesn't bother her and she is perfectly fine living life ‘alone’, however we can see from subtle hints that she is secretly after someone to share her life with and invest herself into. For example she states she has never had a real friend and would like one. On the other hand she stays composed and gives off the persona that she is judgmental and confident in herself and the person she is, for example “sounds like bollocks to me” and “you're an arrogant, self important arsehole!” I
I will deliver these lines with harsh and blunt tones, delivering the lines quickly, as if she knows she shouldn't be talking to Galileo in such a way. I will use my face to express the emotions too, by turning my head away from Galileo, showing she cannot look him in the eye when talking, maybe as she doesn't fully mean what she is saying. Scaramouche puts on an act to seem fearless however she is, at heart, after someone to accept her for who she is. 
On page 29 Galileo is talking about how he hears words in his head. During him speaking, I will be walking around him from a distance and looking at him, listening with interest into what he is saying. However when he stops she replies with “sounds like bollocks to me.” With this line I will make it look like she snaps out of a trance, almost in awe of what he is saying how ever when he stops, realising she is showing interest and therefore makes a conscious effort to cover up showing interest to him. This is another way of conveying to audiences that the energy she gives off to Galileo is not what she is necessarily thinking. 

Also last scene blocking with everyone, explain unity in this piece everyone hugging and being happy, it is a celebration

As our final task of the day, we did some experimenting with blocking for the final scene of the musical, We are the champions. We had the idea that the whole cast meet in the middle of the stage, singing the song and enjoying each other's company. We added in clapping, smiling, arm gestures towards one another and hugs to make it look as though we were united as one after finding the hidden rock and rediscovering genuine music after so many years of struggling. These ideas we found would work well for the end scene as they show unity within the community of rockers and Bohemian's. This is something we will further develop in lessons to come. I feel as though we have made a positive start today on blocking as I now have a better understanding of how I wish to play my character, Scaramouche. I now know I want to really make the contrast visually obvious to the audience between her thoughts about Galileo and the way she acts. I will do this through tone of voice, body language and facial expressions. My target for next rehearsal is to keep developing this idea of showing s contrast, and to find new ways of developing this. I will think about audience interaction and how I can relate to audiences to show the difference in her thoughts and the way she acts.


No comments:

Post a Comment