In today's lesson we focused on two main themes. Firstly an introduction to the singing part of our course. For this we did some vocal warm ups and eventually went on to singing a couple of songs from or new musical… We Will Rock You! Secondly we spent some time thinking about how a persons dress code defines them and how characters dress to give off an impression.
We sung three songs from WWRY which were A crazy little thing called love, I want to break free and Radio GaGa. We sung A crazy little thing called love which showed us the characters relaxed, layer back and quirky side. The song had a relaxed jazz vibe to it and this made us sing the lyrics at a medium tone of volume with a care free sound to our voices, in which I created by lowering my tone of voice and also using body language showing confidence by slightly slouching my body and using irregular swings of the arm. We sung I want to break free as an opposing song to the last. This song is about finding freedom and peace within and therefore required to be sung with passion and drive. We all interpreted this by raising the volume of our voices and articulating our words to show off the certainty of how badly freedom is wanted. I found myself squinting my eyes and clenching my cheeks to suggest the pain and need behind the lyrics. Finally Radio GaGa we found to be such an upbeat song which is very ensemble based. When singing this as a class today, the song brought everyone in the room together which gave off a positive atmosphere. I think this is the song that sounded best for us today. We also naturally added in a 2/3 part harmony without being prompted, which sounded excellent for our first try! Clapping is included as a part of the song which is another contributor to the lift in atmosphere as the song is performed. The majority of the lines in the verses are short and sharp however sum up the point they are conveying in a blatant manor for example ‘We hardly need to use our ears’ you had your time – you had your power’ To make a statement out of these points I found myself using staccato notes to end the lines; this was used to sum up the point made in a simple and easy to understand manor.
For our second task in the lesson we had a think about how the clothes we wear on daily basis reflect who we are and what impression we want to give to others around us. We analysed the outfits we were wearing today.
Firstly I was wearing a lot of colour (blues and whites) which I felt rubbed off on my mood. I was feeling positive and I believe my outfit contributed to this because I liked the way it made me look. For example I felt comfortable with how the high waisted style of jeans made my legs look and I love the cut shoulder style of top as I feel it suits my figure. Feeling confident in what I wear for me definitely links in with my mood; if I don't like my appearance I find my mood is effected by this and I tend to feel slightly more deflated and negative. However if I like the way my outfit makes me look, it sets me up for the day, feeling confident and placed in a positive mind set.
Talia found herself to be wearing a lot of black clothing. She analysed this to be a reflection of the fact she isn't a fan of wearing colour and prefers how black clothing looks in her. Her top also read 'Tell someone who cares' which she found to show the carefree side to her personality.
Megan was wearing a black floral print swing dress with a pair of tights which had a ladder down the side. She said she wasn't bothered by this, showing that she doesn't care too much about what other people think of her outfit which is such a posturing attribute to a person!
The point of this task was the get us all thinking how a person/character’s dress code and all the clothes they wear links in to their personality and mood. Having thought about our own clothing choices and what they mean to us puts us in a positive position to analyse a character’s clothing from WWRY which is one of our units this year, costume design. I know feel better equipped to make judgements on characters costume choice, thinking more in depth about why they might be wearing the clothes they are and how this links to their current situation, mood and personality in the musical.
No comments:
Post a Comment